Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Technology

Tuesday, January the Fourth
1.4.11       161 pounds






New technologies spawn the need for newer technology.

The internet changed how people communicate and gather information. Need to use your computer while you travel? Laptop. Now that you have a laptop you can't be expected to keep it plugged in just to surf the web, you gotta be able to take it from room to room so get WiFi! and now that WiFi is available why not have it at the coffee house? WiFi Hotspots! Before I owned a smart phone I thought they were pretty cool, not that I would ever need that much information at my fingertips. Now that I own one I am very thankful for some of the things it can do.

When Papa Bud died in December my mom and I went to Richmond to do all those arrangements that you really do not want to have to deal with upon the death of a loved one, but really do not have any other options. We also visited with Grandma Shirley at the nursing home. My aunt and uncle live in Richmond but went on a cruise a couple days before the death. The death was not unexpected, it was just a matter of time and aunt and uncle said that if it happened while they were away my mom and I could stay are their house.

Neither my mom nor I are very familiar with Richmond so when we got hungry google maps on my android was valuable in finding restaurants close to our GPS location without having to have social contact with other people and writing down directions.

When we needed to finish some paperwork with the crematorium and they gave us the website to fill out the forms we were in need of free WiFi (My aunt and uncle do not have the internet at their house.) Luckily for us I can just search on my phone for WiFi Hotspots and a list of places automatically comes to me with reviews and information about each place. We could get WiFi and coffee, WiFi and beer, WiFi and sandwiches. Push the right button and the driving directions to Panera is sent to my GPS. Pretty soon me and my mom are sitting at the restaurant eating a sandwich, both of us on our phones talking about obituaries, cremations and trying to contact all the right people while filling out forms online. Next to us is a teacher grading papers, a student writing one on his computer, and a couple walking across the room holding hands... each on a cell phone.

"And this just feels like spinning plates
I'm living in cloud cuckoo land
And this just feels like spinning plates
Our bodies floating down the muddy river" - Radiohead




No comments:

Post a Comment