Friday, January 7, 2011

crack in the lens of time

Friday January the Seventh
1.7.11          160 pounds

Today in the news...

Last night my phone rang and I did not recognize the number so I let it go to voicemail. It was a automated recording from my optical department letting me know that my new glasses have arrived and were available for pickup. This was exciting news for me! The company I work for offers there employees a vision voucher every year that is good for one-hundred and fifty dollars towards a new pair of glasses so every year I get my eyes checked and take my prescription to them and pick out a new pair of glasses. My prescription is so weak that the total always comes out to less than $150. Too bad I do not get to keep the remainder. There was a special going on where if you get two pairs of glasses you get $25 dollars off, which meant I would have $175 towards two pairs of glasses! I picked out two I liked and ordered them.

Well the phone message only mentioned that one pair had come in so on my break at work today I went to the optical department to pick them up. "Oh Ben," Marsha, the optician said, "didn't somebody tell you? We had to send them back, they came in with a huge scratch on them." It will be another week until I get those back. I asked about the other pair and they said it hadn't come in yet.

After a few hours of being home from work my phone rang and it was the optical department again! Hooray, at least my other glasses have arrived, right? "Hey Ben, it's Marsha. I was going to tell you your glasses came in, but they sent us the wrong ones. We got a pair that was supposed to go to North Carolina and they got yours, so it will be about a week until those come in." Damn you! Not you Marsha, but damn somebody.

I had lunch today with L.T. after work and then we went and played pool which was fun. He is a much better player than I am, but I ended up winning almost all the games. I didn't ever have a real strategy, I would just aim and shoot, if a ball goes in, that is when I focus on the next shot. Most of the time the only ball I would get in would be the cue ball. L.T. could aim his shot, make the ball, and have the cue ball positioned where he wanted it. It must have been frustrating for him when he would make almost all the balls in 9 ball and then I would make the only ball that counts. We switched to 8-ball and he would have a pretty solid run at the table, be down to the last ball while my balls were still scattered around the table, and scratch. It was all fun, and I did not gloat too much.

I ordered mustache wax today! The 'stache is not quite long enough for the handlebar look yet, but the wax should at least help it stay out of my mouth, and my soup. Oh, and I don't work until tuesday. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment