Sunday, May 15, 2011

Determined Drone

Sunday May the Fifteenth
5.15.2011........ 160 pounds











April 27th 2011
Ce and I took our first overnight trip together. Iron & Wine played in Richmond and I got two tickets after calling into WNRN. I asked Ce to take time off so we could go to the concert together I as well took the time off. We left as soon as I got off work at 10:00 and first stopped at the scenic overlook on 64, even though it was cloudy and wet.



Ce and I
Ce



We continued on our way, got some food, and went to Maymont Park which was beautiful.

We arrived at Maymont Park at about two PM

The sun came out and the flowers looked great throughout the park.

The park had a lot to offer but we spent the time we had at the Japanese Garden and the Italian Garden. 

All the pictures from Maymont park can be seen here.

We wanted to check into the hotel before the concert so we did not have to deal with the check in process so late. Traffic was horrible, I think it took us 45 minutes to move 4 miles on the Midlothian Turnpike.

Ce's friend Ken lives in Richmond so before the concert Ce, myself, Ken and his girlfriend met for lunch and cupcakes.


The line at The National was not long, and picking up our tickets was not a problem. We made our way inside and found a nice spot to stand by a railing near the back. Once the opening band started to play the venue was packed with skinny jeans, v-necks and flannel. The Low Anthem started out quietly and slow, with one of the four band members playing the saw with a violin bow. After each song the musicians changed instruments, guitars, banjos, bass guitars, dulcimers, clarinets, accordions, flutes and 
occasionally all crowd around one mic with just a guitar or banjo and sing.


Iron and Wine


I had been up since 4 that morning and was getting pretty sleepy but Sam Beam finally came out and started playing.  I didn't know a lot about Iron and Wine except for the album Our Endless Numbered Days and this Tiny Desk Concert 

  I was used to him and his acoustic guitar but was not disappointed when 12 other musicians and back up singers came out and started playing.

 It all sounded really good but it was hard to enjoy because of how tired I was. Ce and I dipped out after four or five songs and made our way back to the hotel to get some sleep.

The next morning we grabbed some breakfast and drove home.

Success.

1 comment: